Have you seen the news?
- Cyber Warfare
- Data Breaches
- And more…
Gone are the days when passwords were enough to protect your systems and data. So, what do we need to know about Cyber Security—
What is Cyber Security?
Cyber Security is the process and tools deployed in protecting sensitive data, computer systems, networks and software applications from cyber attacks. Cyber attacks is a general term which covers a large number of topics. To include but not limited to:
- Tampering systems and data stored within
- Exploitation of resources
- Unauthorized access to the targeted system and accessing sensitive information
- Disrupting normal functioning of the business and its processes
- Using ransomware attacks to encrypt data and extort money from victims
The attacks are now becoming more innovative and sophisticated, capable of disrupting the security and hacking the systems.
SMALL BUSINESS IS NOW THE #1 TARGET
Common types of threats and attacks:
Ransomware is a file encryption software program that uses a unique robust encryption algorithm to encrypt the files on the target system. The hackers encrypt all of your files, then hold your data for Ransom, saying that they will unencrypt your files once you pay them.
Social Engineering Attacks
Social engineering are now a common tactics used by cyber criminals to gather user’s sensitive information.
Phishing is a fraudulent action of sending spam emails by imitating to be from any legitimate source. The emails look real and usually have some sort of call to action (call us, click this link, etc.). The link goes to a fake website that allows them to download malware to your system in the background without you ever knowing.
So what can be done? Here are some useful habits and things to implement immediately.
Ways to Mitigate
- Never reuse passwords
- Use a password manager
- Only register on reputable sites
- Consider using “throwaway” emails
- Always verify an email asking for a financial transaction
- Use 2-factor authentication where possible
- Never post your email address
- Keep all software up to date
- Use a hardware firewall and business grade Antivirus
What PCS Can Offer as Reliable Professionals
Cyber Risk Assessment
- Comprehensive Network Assessment
- Security Assessment
- Dark Web Search
- Simulated Phishing Campaign
- Data Risk Scan
Schedule a Risk Assessment today!
PCS now offers a full Cybersecurity Division dedicated to helping business with all of their IT and Security needs under one roof. Please don’t hesitate to call or pass along our information. Give us a call today. (256) 513-8206